Is Your Liver As Healthy As You Think It Is?
- Non-alcoholic steatohepatitis, or NASH, is notoriously under-diagnosed.
- It’s an advanced form of non-alcoholic fatty liver disease, caused by buildups of fat in the liver, which affects more than 115 million people around the world.
- Estimates suggest that as many as nine out of 10 people with NASH go undiagnosed.
- Many people experience no noticeable symptoms in the early stages of the disease, and a lack of familiarity with the disease can prevent them from linking any symptoms they do experience to NASH.
- Diagnosis typically relies on liver biopsies, which are invasive and not always accurate and can be risky to patients.
- Noninvasive alternatives are beginning to become more accessible, including Fibroscans